EXCEED (XCD) specialises in delivering well management and performance improvement solutions for the global Oil & Gas industry. We take a look at how AzroNet used NetSuite to transform and consolidate their business.
XCD chose to implement NetSuite as their ERP system to manage the internal and external resources, primarily its physical assets, financial resources and human resources. Their Finance Team evaluated four different ERP systems (SAP Business One, Microsoft Dynamics, SAGE X3 and NetSuite) and concluded that NetSuite best fits the needs of XCD at present and going forward.
Implementing NetSuite enables XCD to integrate its business processes, which aids compliance with their ISO accredited management system, in turn delivering value to XCD’s shareholders. It also helps XCD streamline its processes through automation and at the same time enables its Finance function to become a revenue generating area of the business.
The successful migration of XCD financial reporting over to NetSuite, with improved capability for controlling project costs and overheads, has enabled automated consolidation, “live” reporting via dashboards customised for individual users within the group of companies, as well as better capture of data required for projecting future profitability.
As well as XCD’s own financial reporting, the project also enabled the creation of standalone projects which enables management to accurately track AFE and the like. It also provides an external interface to clients, with expenditure and progress to date, along with a clear line of sight of what is yet to come.
- Improve assessment of project profitability and identification of optimum utilisation levels. Real time visibility into performance and profitability.
- Implementation of customisable controls to reflect PO and payment authorisation limits.
- Automated contract accounting, integrated billing, streamlined approvals and workflows
- Replace Excel based trackers with more robust project management workflows and templates
- TIME & EXPENSE
- Replace the manual driven Excel submissions with automated processes and the ability to approve on the move. Significantly reduce the processing times involved by customising data entry fields by project to avoid contractors submitting incorrect/incomplete data.
- Eliminate time consuming manual processes within Finance (currency revaluations, depreciation, overhead allocations) and replace with automated processes
- Replace the manual Excel based process, which involves data processed in different Excel workbooks, with an automated process to bring down month end close to within 7 days of month end
- Replace PO system, outside all other systems used by XCD, and replace with a system that is integrated with the rest of the business
- Replace current fragmented reporting systems with dashboards customised for each role within XCD – see what you need to see and when you need to see it
The drivers behind implementing NetSuite
- XCD used different systems to control its Finance, Time Recording, CRM and Projects – NetSuite integrates all of these into a central database, therefore avoiding the loss of data from incorrect duplication and as such, presenting a “single view of the truth”
- Easy to use, powerful reporting across the whole organisation, not just Finance.
- Time savings through automation, enabling XCD to scale up quicker without additional staff costs
- Same look and feel across the whole system which is the “go-to” business portal for everyone within XCD
- Ability to bolt-on standalone projects enables Finance to be revenue generating
- Embedded authorisation processes assist XCD to control and report on both its own expenditure as well as clients who are setup as standalone projects
- Enables XCD’s investor readiness by building in and educating staff/contractors to processes that would be expected in an organisation with big company mentality
- Value added time, not processing time
Scope & benefits
XCD’s ERP implementation scope:
- Financial Reporting
- Migrate SAGE data as required
- Ability to report profitability by Class, Company, Project and Resource
- Ability to track project costs for standalone projects
- Implement authorisation processes covering purchase orders in respect of goods and services procured and supplier payments in accordance with XCD’s Treasury management policy
- Resource Management & Allocation
- Ability to allocate resources to projects using sales orders
- Improved reporting through use of accurate resource plans
- Line of sight towards full resource planning
- Train project managers/other personnel on proper use of authorisation processes
- Migrate data from Microsoft CRM
- Mirror reporting from Microsoft CRM
- Train BD Executives in use of CRM to get optimal benefit
These three areas of the business now operate from a single user interface, using the same database. They no longer have different versions of the “truth” and data/information no longer sits in silos waiting to be found/moved.
Implementation of NetSuite affected all staff engaged by XCD, initially through timesheet and expense submission, along with relevant authorisations. Those who benefit most from Phase 1 implementation are Finance, Project Managers and XCD’s MD. By being able to use NetSuite to track costs on standalone projects, XCD’s Finance function has become revenue generating. The overall costs compared to cost savings and revenue generated by just one standalone project, make the overall cost marginal to the Business Case.
Fostering a big company mentality – PRICELESS!